We offer riding lessons for beginners through to experienced riders. Children can now start at the age of 3 years old on our "Tiny Tots" ride around the yard for 20 mins, from the age of 4 children can progress onto half hour classes in the arena. As the children's skills improve they will be able to move onto the next stage of lessons. These lessons work through the ABRS riding and stable management tests. As your child progresses we also learn how to canter, jump, play horse ball and gymkhana games, hacking out and do a wide range of extra activities
Adults are welcome to join our group lessons, book a private or semi private lesson or book onto a hack. We have a range of "safe" horses for hacking out.
We are constantly getting new adult riders from the ages of 18 to 80. We offer lots for you to take part in such as stable management, entering competitions, part-loaning a horse, pub rides in summer or even if you just want to come and sit on a horse for a slow walk around we will cater for your needs. Remember..You are never too old to start horse riding !!! Maximum weight 14 stone.
See TAKE BACK THE REINS on our news page !
During school holidays there are a whole lot of fun-packed activities:
- Pony days – These are 10:00am until 3:00pm. The children arrive in the morning and spend the day learning to care for a pony as well as having two riding sessions.
- Pony camps - A real favorite of our young riders. We have 3 different camps over the summer holidays to suit all ages and standards. The children sleep in stables with full supervision and enjoy riding during the day. The evenings are spent watching demonstrations, swimming, playing games and practicing dressage for show day.
- There are many other riding activities for children to enjoy - contact a member of staff for details.
- Pony Parties –with up to 10 (children or Adults!) Learn to ride. Play games on the ponies. Go for a walk around the field. Rosettes for all the party children. £14.00 per pony per hour. (Over six riders) £10.00 per pony per ½ hour (Over six riders). Under six riders will be charged at special group rates (please see our price list). We also have a Function Room available for hire (includes table, chairs and use of Kitchen) £15 per hour. The riders need to wear long flexible trousers and shoes with a flat sole and a small heel, preferable not trainers or slip on shoes. Beginner children will need leaders, if possible could you please bring sufficient adults who are willing to assist, they will need to wear appropriate footwear [high heels and flip flops are not ideal ]]. We may be able to supply some leaders from the stables if you are having difficulty. We are able to supply more instructors to help at an additional cost. Please pay a deposit 4 weeks in advance with confirmation of numbers and full payment one week in advance.
BEGINNER SESSIONS !!!
AN INTRODUCTION TO RIDING.
This is a new ideal starter session for beginners or riders needing a refresher, this session is for children and adults !
Come along and look around the centre, meet the horses and ponies at Follifoot, learn about their basic behaviour and have a better understanding of equines.
We will be learning about the care of the horse/pony, learning the grooming kit and how and why we groom followed by a tacking up demonstration, you may even get to have a go.
The riding session will be approximately 30 minutes. During the riding session you will learn the basics of horse riding. Riding will take place either in our outdoor/indoor arenas or having a walk out.
INTERMEDIATE SESSION !!
IMPROVE YOUR RIDING SKILLS
This session is for the riders with some experience, if you were a rider but have had a break or if you just want to brush up on your techniques, this session is for you.
It as a 1 hour group session which will vary according to your ability, the session may include walk, trot, canter, and a small jump (depending on the level of each rider).
During the session we can also assess your riding (if you wish) so we can help identify your strengths and weaknesses and give guidance towards being a more confident balanced rider.
STABLE MANAGEMENT SESSION
This session can be used for you to learn the basic stable management requirements of looking after a horse or if you require practice on something that you may be finding difficult.
You may be working towards taking an exam, maybe a ABRS exam and want to have a bit more practice, either way we can assess you in this session and pin point the areas you need to work on.
Please ring 01423 870372.
Term Dates 2015
Term: Saturday 1st November up to + including Friday 19th December (7weeks)
Holidays Saturday 20th December to Friday 2nd January
Term: Saturday 3rd January up to + including Friday 13th February
Holidays Saturday 14th February to Friday 20th February
Term: Saturday 21st February up to+ including Friday 27th March
Holidays Saturday 28th March to Friday 10th April
Term: Saturday 11th April up to + including Friday 22nd May
Holidays 23rd May to Friday 29th May
Term: Saturday 30th May upto + including Friday 17th July
Holiday Saturday 18th July Start of summer holidays
We also regularly hold Specialists clinics by:
- Richard Barton – International Show Jumper
- Simon Powell – Dressage coach, BHS II, NVQ Assessor
- Courses –
- ABRS Riding and Road Safety
- BHS Riding and Road Safety
- NVQ Level 1 and 2 for 14 year olds and over
- ABRS Training for the ITA Exam